Cronulla Rail Duplication Project
Construction of a second rail line between Cronulla and Sutherland comprising:
- 6.6km of new track, extended platforms and additional train stabling facilities
- additional platform and easy access improvements
- new cuttings, embankments and retaining walls to accommodate the additional track
- upgrade of ten road and rail bridges along the route including new signal works
- The project was technically challenging with construction taking place in a live rail environment.
MIEngineers developed a highly complex, multidisciplinary construction tender program for rail infrastructure works that included allowances for restricted rail possessions and implementing strategies for the mitigation of delays if these possessions were missed. MIEngineers also undertook constructability reviews and “what if” analysis, and developed alternate strategies to reduce construction timing. This involved:
- analysis of designs for constructability, advising designers of outcomes and offering alternates
- developing suitable construction methodologies and programming of these methods
- program review and consideration of alternate methods, sequences and programs
- detail and analyse risk assessments and manage these
- manage, negotiate, consult and liaise with disparate stakeholders
- providing timely and appropriate communication and reporting, furnishing necessary information for decision makers and other stakeholders.